We stopped in Haverthwaite to ride a steam engine train to Lakeside. While waiting to board the train, Sarah was able hold and pet an owl. She was pretty tickled to be able to do this.
Once we arrived in Lakeside, we got on a boat and cruised Lake Windermere up to the town of Windermere. The lake reminded me a lot of Seneca Lake in New York. It was full of ducks and sailboats, and the landscape was dotted full of what I assume would be summer/vacation homes.
After we docked we got back on the bus and Sarah posed for a picture with Steen, our Tour Director.
We made stop in a town called Grasmere and had a nice lunch and look around the town before making our way to Scotland.
Our first stop in Scotland was to a town called Gretna Green. Basically it is a shopping area. But it was home to a few Highland Cattle and some Highland Cattle who were quite different looking.
We also were greeted by a Scottish Highlander, wearing a kilt, playing the bagpipes! I had said all along that when I entered Scotland, I wanted to be greeted by a kilt wearing Scotsman playing the bagpipes. I was!
Sarah bought a souvenir from the gift shop, a Nessie!
After our "comfort stop" (as our Tour Director liked to call them), we headed towards Glasgow. We took a quick bus tour and then stopped at our hotel. The hotel was quite posh. We were sad to know that Neil Diamond had checked out just an hour before we checked in though. We had a lovely dinner at a restaurant with a few of our fellow travelers and then called it a night.
No comments :
Post a Comment